Wednesday, 6 July 2011

TITS, BUTTER & CAT.

TITS, BUTTER & CAT.

After my tri and mini trashing of my legs Anna and I went over the lakes to do the first 28 of the Lakeland 50 . It was the same day as the fling where I should have been but felt it was not worth the risk to my foot and of course with only a few weeks running I could not really do it justice. It was a red hot day for the flingers and us and the heat did take its toll. That said I enjoyed the course and my first major run -28 miles . Happy with that. Not too much to soon and all that and of course e my foot felt ok. We didn’t do the next 16 the following day as Anna blistered all her feet. I’m still thinking I may drop to the UTLD50 instead of the 100. I know a few are waiting for my photo blog of it (I took photos of nearly all the turns but I haven’t had time yet.) .

TITS (ten in ten marathoners and Fred Whittons er)

In line with my cross train cross training and trying not to run too much just yet the following weekend was to be no running but to be a small part of some very special stuff namely supporting the TITs. That’s the brilliant Ten marathon in Ten days marathoners and El bee’s amazing attempt at 10 Fred Whittons in Ten days. Heck I know some amazing people!. The marantoners do the Windermere marathon 9 time before joing the masses on the proper marathon day. The oldest is 73 !!

The Fred Whitton if you don’t know is a 112 mile cycle sportive around the lakes taking in all the hardest passes in the lakes and as El bee said in his blog, that’s just the ones that take the headlines and in between them are just loads of other hills that in other parts of the country would have a name like ‘mountain hill ‘or suchlike but in the lakes they merely get a nod at being a decent bump. The day before I looked at the profile and stuck it on facebook with the title ‘FUCK’ . Norna commented ‘we did wonder if you had read the manual’ I hadn’t of course. In fact I’ve only had my road bike a couple of months and done one 60 mile, one 40 Mile ride, and a handful of 10 mile TT’s . Less than 200 mile of cycling ….ever…well since I was a kid on my chopper.
Spent some of Thursday getting a drinks in for marathon TiTs





and wishing them well, then off to the pub where I met up with a group doing the Fred starting an hour and a half behind us. . I joined them for dinner and told them all about El bee. Now they all wished him well but to a man didn’t think it possible. That’s a bit of a theme. Every cyclist I spoke to said not a chance. The last being the owner of a cycle shop I went into on Thursday morning to get some new gloves. ‘ I’ll ’ give him two at most and you’ll be lucky to finish one’. I shall enjoy popping back in.





Met up with El Bee at 6am in Coniston to a slightly panicked Mr bee. Several Months of meticulous training and planning and on day one he forgot his shoes! . You have to laugh and we did .Of we went and Hawkshead hill was first, followed by Kirkstone pass and then Materdale head which is higher than Winlatter. I enjoyed them both and was pleased to cycle up them. Of course El bee barely broke sweat. Round to Keswick where the amazing SarahL met us with El Bee bike shoes.

Now for the loop that I did with El bee because I could not run my favourite Road race The Keswick Buttermere round. I managed most of Honister but was starting to zig zag to get up the steep bit only to have to move a side for a car. Had to get off and push but was soon on again and made it to the top. El bee waited wondering what all the fuss was about lol. Down t’other side. Now aren’t bike brakes shit? You are just better off letting go and hoping you don’t meet up with the stagecoach bus or a dozen huge Chelsea tractors that take up the whole road. Newlands pass, (made most of it) and Winlatter pass and we were half way at cycle wise stop and a nice coffee. (if you are in , thank them for looking after el bee) . At this point I was ok except for a bit of throbbing in my thigh muscle. I suppose I’m just not used to cycling. I was more worried about holding Mr Bee up but then again I thought it might just be a good thing and he was adamant he wanted my company.

Then over to the west. Along the way we got to chat a bit and I have to say I loved this way of seeing the lakes. I love running but you can’t half do some mileage on a bike and of course you are higher up so you can see over the hedgerows. Tuning back east and over the exposed cold fell hills with the wind in our faces and heading towards Hardknot. Along the way I was starting to become weary but also my thigh muscle wanted to leave my leg and get the bus home every time we climbed! So all the little climbs were worrying me as I really really do not need an injury right now. We agreed El bee would go on at Hardknot and after a little photo shoot ant the red telephone box of doom Mr Bee shot off into the distance taking on of the hardest passes in England with ease. A wonder to behold. He had told me that the first and last part was the steepest but I should be able to manage the rest. He was right and that what I did. At the top I had a bit of a rest and chatted to some fell walkers and a couple of cyclists (spreading the word) Down Hardknot & on towards Wrynose.





Now I think the bit of walking I had had calmed my thigh and I was determined to give this one good shot. Fuck it hurt but I managed to cycle it all. As el bee had said , he is 40llbs lighter than me so I think I did ok to do what i did especially when i'm not even running fit never mind cycling fit. This cycling is all about power to weight ratios. (ok my bikes not geared for hills either ) I’ve just got mine the wrong way round :-) .that was the bloody easy bit though! The descent is a zig zag of 20 and 30 % falls and as I said bike brakes are shit ! Problem was I had a stream of cars coming up. I thought the brakes would burn out. Interesting to say the least.

At the bottom I was not 100% sure of the way and one choice was another big hill I didn’t fancy if it was the wrong way, so it was map out and find my way home. lovely run back to Coniston to find a happy Mr Bee waiting having completed his first (and slowest because of me anchoring him) Fred. He looked great. In fact I think I said this is exactly how I would want you to look with the 9 days ahead. I hope I helped a bit and I had a great time . I got to do a Fred Whitton and see the lakes in a very different way. I’m inspired to do the race next year and climb every pass. Off course we now all know he did it and did it in style and most of it in some terrible hail, wind and rain..

but Mr El bee set fire to the rain ......because he can.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXdoZaXk4Oc&feature=player_embedded




Next day was more cycling and providing sports drinks for the marathon Tits. Met up with Lisrun to see them off them drove down the lake and Lisrun ran 4 mile down the course while I cycled cheering on all the Tits. We turned back when we came upon liz . Heck she looks in good shape. Gave her some American sports drink to keep her going and left her when we got to the cars. I later had one ready for Foxy. I should be a nutritionist :-)



Sunday I was meeting up with some like-minded folk for a swim in Buttermere. But I thought I might give El bee a laugh first so I put my wet suit on in the YH (when questioned I just looked them in the eye and said ‘you haven’t seen the weather forecast have you ‘ ) got on my bike and bike the wrong way up Honister. Fuck I was hot. Walked into Honister YH at the top and asked for a large pot of tea. El bee and Stepford wife arrived and laugh and smile were achieved. Nice pot of teas for them and rode back down Honister with them to see them on their way.



BUTTERMERE

Bit late for the swim and most of the other were in except my friend Emma. Mark was down the lake swimming the whole thing without a wetsuit. He’s swimming the channel in the summer and his swimming is fantastic. Emma and I swam down the lake and then across and back. It was cold. I had left my goggles and hat in the car . The goggles I didn’t need but the really cold water can really freeze your head. Actually the worst thing is my teeth . When its really cold the hurt ! Buttermere was beautiful . A sort of blue green and clear as a bell. Swimming a few time across and back I just tread water for a while in the middle of the lake on my own watching the mountain waterfalls. Wonderful.

CAT ERAN

So a weekend of no running. I didn’t do much during the week either as I had the cateran 56M on Saturday. I did do the wonderful sort of cross county 6 miler on the Wednesday called snods edge although i took it very easy. Another great race. It’s invitation only and last year I remember writing this is one of the reasons to join a club . I haven’t changed my mind.
Friday and it was off to the cat. It’s been a year since I last ran an ultra and I was so excited. I love this race and love the people there. Hadn’t seen so many for ages ass I had been able to train .It was particularly great to see sandy who had just run a zillion miles on the whw and was marshalling. Unfortunately the race didn’t go well. I thought I would struggle a bit .

Weeks 5 weeks back running and not even running every week at that I can’t expect anything else.


However that wasn’t it really. From the off I didn’t feel very well. Bit queasy and wanting to visit the woods. I plodded on thinking I would run it off. I’ve had this sort of thing before and you usually do. However at the Blairgowrie CP ,32 mile in sat down ,something a rarely do in a race and when I got up I had a sharp pain in my knee. It wasn’t there before . I tried to run it off but it was a sharp pain and would not go away. Gave it about 10 minutes and it wasn’t going. So reluctantly I pulled out. I just can’t risk an injury right now. To much I want to do and I want a full summer of running and winter on the fells.

Mind although I didn’t like it wasn’t gutted. 32 mile is the furthest I’ve done for a year and the foot was ok. I’ll slowly get there. Anna did brilliant. I knew the course would suit but the weather was foul in the end and she came in smiling :-) Congrats to all the lovely finishers and to Lintie for putting the whole thing together.


So I’ll run at the weekend and test the knee. Taking each day with care, the super cautious me. Hopefully all will be well.

Today I uploaded my Medical certificate for UTMB. I need to be as ready as I can be for then.

So Now 6 weeks back on the foot and its holding up well . I know the races coming up wil be a struggle. My lack of fitness is very telling thats ok cause everythings alright and i feel fine :-)

http://www.youtube.com/v/AW5alabHgYo

1 comment:

  1. Flip,
    I posted a link on FB and WHW forum to some night photos of the WHWR. Good one of you at Beechtree.

    Davie

    ReplyDelete